Monday, February 23, 2009

An apology- of sorts

OK, I had wonderful intentions, I really meant to quit. I just got tired of working in a very "concrete" world of construction, then coming home and feeling guilty that I hadn't blogged in a week. Why would I feel guilty? I don't know, but I could probably blame it on my parents. I also don't like feeling pressured/encouraged by "dude, the world needs to hear your message" propaganda. Come on, I'm not that dumb... or arrogant. So does this mean I'm back? I can't say that for certain, since I would have had to have been here in the first place...

But this is just too strange to pass up:

I was in the grocery store tonight, and the check out girl couldn't talk properly. I don't mean she had an accent or a lisp, but she may have been deaf. That's just what it sounded like to me, but I couldn't understand her no matter how hard I tried. Here's how it went down:

Kevin places food on conveyor belt, wonders just how many stories they can run on that poor Jean-Benet girl.

Checkoutchic: "Thun yu ham unghhard?" (Do you have a card?) That's a rewards card...

Kevin, exercising his foreknowledge, almost answers question, but so caught off guard by someone who's job it was to talk to people not being able to talk, has to reply:

"Heh?"

Checkoutchic: "Thun yu ham unghhard?"

Kevin has the nerve to be surprised at the indecipherable nature of the second round, makes a bold move:

"Well, I have one, but not on me..." Averts eyes to the bagger gal, hoping he guessed right.

Checkoutchic: .......... (I guess she knew I didn't speak Mumblese.) Proceeds to ring stuff up.

Checkoutchic: "Tahnoo thahn thith?"

Kevin, utilizing all his mental capacity, cracks the code, helped by the credit card receipt shoved at him, signs the slip.

(No eye contact, there may have been a "thank you", but how would we know?)




Now, I'm no Mumblophobic, but firmly believe that a job requiring understandable speaking would be held only by those who can perform such a task. Call me crazy...

And don't get me started on Dunkin Donuts, who seems to put the only straight-off-the-boat-er on the drivethrough.

Have you ever had something like this happen to you, or seen someone working a job that they just couldn't do?

No comments: