Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fire or Stones? What say ye?


I've tried to hold myself back for days now, but my will has succumb to my inner smartass. Don't worry, if there is anyone out there actually waiting for the next Pan's Labyrinth post, it's simmering, and will be ready at the appointed time.

I read THIS the other day, and couldn't help be a tad skeptical, especially at the exhortation to stock up on non-perishable items. Just imagining God saying "Buy canned goods, beans, and don't forget deodorant and toilet paper." just doesn't jive with me. Although the thought of living without good toilet paper is enough to make me tremble...

As funny I think this stuff can be, there is a seriousness here that I can't avoid. I, on the one hand, could be making fun of something I shouldn't. The other, and far more likely one to my mind, is that 25 years will go by, and this message will be forgotten. The question is, when will there be accountability? I think this is a fair question given the cornucopia of predictions given by Christian leaders in the past fifty years. They used to stone folks who prophesied falsely, but we just keep buying the books.

My final opinion? Listen to it, Christian, test it with past INSPIRED prophecies, and if it doesn't come true, at least stop giving these guys a platform. Don't worry too much about the future, it's already been sealed. If we escape bad times, then super, if we burn, then to God be the glory and may we die not marring our Lord's name. Realize that all our needs have been met in Christ, and when He appears, we will appear with Him in glory. Stop being scared and start living like your life is hidden with Christ in God.

As a safety measure, here is a response by someone far more reputable and measured than myself:

Here ya go

On a more positive note, it could always be worse.

No comments: