Thursday, April 16, 2009

Poetic Magic- I think...

Not knowing exactly what falls within the limits of "poetry", I'm going to include this one because it's the total package. The primitive elegance of the banjo and the eery fiddle tones really accent this song about the last great cultural taboo- death. Making it more powerful is the fact that the When I go album was the last to ever be recorded by Dave Carter. Spooooookyyy......


My favorite line is: "a twistin' pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor", but it's really hard to choose from the rest. The video is a little different from the cd version, and not quite as flowing, but still excellent.

The simple tune and masterful lyrics have captured my ear for years now, and have yet to grow old for me. Today, I listened to it on my Ipod for forty straight minutes on the way home. If I could write stuff like this, I'd be a happy man... actually, no, I'd just want something else possessed by others I don't have. So I'm going to go be content as a dusty, balding carpenter with three beautiful kids, whose Creator did the nuttiest, most insane thing in the history of the world, and that's prettier than any song I've ever heard.


But Lordy, this one is good...



1 comment:

Alexander Field said...

Gorgeous song, thanks for posting it! It's been playing in background for the pst 6-7 minutes. Nice...