Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rescue me from the lies of advertisers who claim to know what I need and what I desire

From the lies of entertainers who promise a cheap way to joy

From the lies of politicians who pretend to instruct me in power and morality

From the lies of psychologists who offer to shape my behavior and my morals so that I will live long happily and successfully

From the lies of religionists who heal the wounds of this people lightly

From the lies of moralists who pretend to promote me to the office of captain of my fate

From the lies of pastors who get rid of God’s command so you won’t be inconvenienced in following religious fashions

Rescue me from the person who tells me of life and omits Christ

Who is wise in the ways of the world and ignores the movement of the Spirit



-Eugene Peterson

1 comment:

S.D. Smith said...

Classic.