Friday, December 05, 2008

Life lessons from the herpatorium

This our chameleon, Mr. Tumnus gettin' wild and crazy in his cubicle. The speed you see him moving in this picture is about his usual speed. Yeah, that's right, he's still. Very observant.

He was always so frisky, at least until I caught him mistaking his own tail for a cricket. He was wrapped in a large circle around a branch, just holding it. I guess he thought it would eventually tire, and then he could eat it.

Weeks went by, and I noticed while watering him that almost all of his tail was shriveled and black. "Hmmm..." I thought, "I don't know if that looks good.".

Two days later his tail fell off. "Problem solved", I thought.

Well, that wasn't really accurate, because a few weeks later he was dead. I don't know if it was some kind of infection, or that he gave up living because he couldn't hang any more, but I tend toward the latter.

So what's the point of all this? Is there a moral to this story? Oh Yes, there's a moral to every story. You just have to be creative enough, and something will always pop up.

So here's what I've come up with so far:

"Those who chew their own arses may have it come back to bite them in the end."

I think that's pithy enough, don't you? Are there more?

No comments: